This page is “under construction” we are in the process of adding more details of burials on the site from HHA files and research.Huskisson-Cemetry-Graves-List-4-web
Mary Salmon, ‘In the Shoalhaven District, vi. Jervis Bay’: Evening News, 22 July 1905, p 8. This article contains a photograph of Jimmy, King of Jervis Bay and his Queen, photographed by C S Moss of Nowra.
The article is sub-titled Jervis Bay but is exclusively about Huskisson. The penultimate paragraph refers to the burial of Jimmy, the ‘old king of Jervis Bay, who only a few weeks ago died … The poor old widow was very proud that her man ‘had a Christian burial, with a minister, in the churchyard.’
There was no other church in the vicinity at this early date.
This photo of Mary Carpenter (AKA Queen Mary and Mary Golding) aged around 105 appeared in the Sydney Telegraph 29th November 1927. Mary died three months later and was buried with much ceremony at Bilong (now Myola) across the Currambene Creek from Huskisson.
The younger woman is her daughter, Rebecca Golding. Rebecca was buried on the Holy Trinity Church site. Her death certificate dated 4th of February 1935 says so.
The local church wardens and the hopeful developer have never acknowledged this burial. The records are on file at the Jervis Bay Maritime Museum. The researchers who produced a heritage report for the developer do not appear to have used this museum’s extensive local archive.
Significantly Niclassen was interred next to an unknown sailor, buried 42 years previously. This would mean there were burials on the site before it was gifted to the Anglican Church. He was buried “behind the Union Church”. The Union Church was originally sited at the north eastern area of the block, where the 1970s rectory is now. This would indicate that burials were in the area many claim James Golding was buried.
These “Church in the Graveyard” notes were assembled by Helen Ruttley probably in the latter part of the 1990s. Helen did a lot of work on the history of the site and campaigned to have the Church heritage listed. They are in the Shoalhaven Historical Society archive.GPR-report-May-2021